Thursday, March 5, 2009

M&M Day - 2009


The Bugs has had the flu all week. All that remains is a snotty/stuffy nose and a mild cough once or twice every few hours. Mr. Wonderful made a deal with me last night about going to the gym this morning: If I wanted to go in early again he would take all the kids to school, except Bug, and then meet me in the parking lot of the gym so we could swap out before he goes to work out. Who could pass that up?
So, around 7:50ish Mr. Wonderful pulls up with Bugs still in her jammas. She sure didn't seem to mind! Since she hadn't eaten more than toast and 1/2 a banana for the last few days I decided to see if she wanted some "real" breakfast...Chic-Fil-A.
The local store has a new sign on its marquee "Eat Mor Chikn for Breakfast"
Um, I believe we will - thank you.
I tempted her with chicken nuggets and fruit and, to my surprise, she agreed. I whipped through the drive-in (looking a hot mess might I add – fresh from the gym here) and snagged us some nuggets with a fruit cup & some OJ. She chowed down on the way home!! I was thrilled that she was finally getting some nutrients! We got home and I peeled off my fragrant gym clothes and grabbed a shower. Before I jumped in I told Bugs to throw some clothes on. She was puzzled and said "Some real clothes?"
As you can imagine this probably comes as a shock to a person who has been indoors in their pajamas for 5 straight days but - "yes, honey - real clothes" I answered.
Soon as I got out of the shower we fixed hair and left. My original plan was to run over to Michael's craft store and grab something for us to paint. I knew she was tired of sitting in the house all day and she WAS feeling better after all so, I decided to make a day of it.
Molly & Me Day!!
( or Molly & Miss Amber could also work ;))
We went into Michael's and got some wooden crosses & paint for a craft we'll all do as a family on Saturday (every Saturday is "family day". We make a point that day to be together and focus on being a family. It’s also a day I get to say the words – “There is no fighting on family day” and it usually works…)
Once we'd gathered our craft supplies we decided to hit Wal-Mart. She's been asking for a new coloring book and I knew they (use to) have a nice selection. Man was I wrong! What's happened, Wal-Mart? I don't want 100 sticker books or "multiple activity" books. I want a simple - bold black line - coloring book. No luck. But - we were able to find a cute little fairy coloring book that had markers attached.
Sold.
I did end up buying some cheap practice outfits for soccer and grabbed Bug some new sunglasses (seeing as how the ones she had were hand-made and falling apart)

I decided to go over to Main Street Toy Company (cute name since it's off the square, huh?) but - to my utter surprise - they don't even carry books - much less coloring books! How sad. They do, however, have an awesome little room that emits a pink glow from the back of the store. It's full of "girl stuff" all at a 5 year olds level. She got to hang out back there for a while and "browse".

We were beginning to notice our chicken for breakfast was wearing thin. We decided to hit the Mickey D's for some lunch ( 5 year old's dream come true). We were driving along and I noticed it had gotten rather quiet. I said “So, whatcha gonna get at McDonalds?”
No response.
“Bugs?”
Silence.
I looked up in the rearview to see her neck in a perplexing position. Crashed. Out like a light.
Seems as though “M&M Day” was taking it out on her. I decided to let her catch a few Z’s while we rode. When we got to Mickey D’s I reached in the back seat (snapped a few pictures) and woke her up. She gave me the CUTEST smile as if to say – “Who, me? I wasn’t sleepin…”
We grabbed chicken nuggets (I mean, you cannot have too many in one day) and chocolate milk (it’s a sin for snotty noses, I know – but soooo good) and then went to the park. She ran out the last bit of her energy and started getting fussy when I started to swing higher than her. (I’ve gotta be honest… I was freakin’ excited that I could get my hips & butt into that swing…and I was gonna go as high as I wanted, dang it…)
So, in true Howell form – she asked if we could stop for a snack & head home. And that, we did. A small pack of muffins, a bug juice & a Coke Zero and homeward bound.
As soon as we arrived, we knocked out her make-up school work and colored for a bit. I cleaned up the kitchen and put away our bags of “fun” from the day. Then it was bath time. I then realized what I SHOULD have bought at Wal-Mart …Mr. Bubbles. Oh well =).
After baths & braided hair & painted nails we snuggled on the couch. We’d bought a bunch of new books at Wal-Mart so we decided to read…all.of.them. Don’t let those little Dr. Seuss books fool you… You read 10 of those suckers in a row and you’re tired. And about the 5th one you start yawning. And then your mouth runs out of spit. And you need a drink… But, you keep reading.
And it must have worn her out, too, ‘cause she fell asleep right after we finished the 10th book.
Mercy.
So take that, flu bug. We’re determined to make it a positive – and we did. M&M Day 2009 was a success and I hope to have more (maybe in the future these days will be on the weekends and not durning the week where we are missing school/work but, you get the point)
Welp, the rest of the clan has arrived home and it’s time to start the rest of our evening.
Baths
Dinner
Homework
More reading
Oh – and – more cuddle time!!

G’nite y’all

No comments: