Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Lately...

You all know I’m random so I thought I’d take the time to continue that trend.

~I’m home today w/the youngest Howell. Have you ever seen a 5 year old with the FLU? I’ve never had the flu… I know the symptoms and know of its contagious nature but none of my babies have ever had the flu. It’s not only pitiful but it’s scary ‘cause she’s the tiniest person I’ve ever seen. She’s just itty-bitty so “sick” on her seems worse than it may really be. Last night I had to run by the Wal-Marts to grab some Smart Water (full of electrolytes - perfect for puking 5 year olds), Gatorade (again, great for the pukes) and some sides for dinner. I decided to grab the baby a little bit of comfort. Since we call her the “Molly Bug” I thought the Cuddle Bug would be the perfect fix. What’s better is this is a MAGIC Cuddle Bug and it takes away all your sick bugs! Who knew that an Easter caterpillar from Wal-Mart could do these things?

~Yesterday I had to leave early to take the girls to the dentist. I was flying down 24 when I noticed a giant white Cadillac SUV in my rearview. I happened to glance down at the old speed-clock to note I was exceeding 90mph. I happened to also notice that the tail-gating SUV behind me was talking on her cell phone with one hand…. And waving her other hand in the air. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?... Yes. There were NO HANDS ON THE WHEEL!... and we are FLYYYYYING down the interstate! This wasn’t a quick “let go” either! We’re talking a full-on release of all control of the vehicle. It totally unnerved me. I quickly realized it is equally as dangerous for me to be exceeding the posted (legal) limits and slowed down & changed lanes. When I did she passed me (thank goodness). I found myself saying a little prayer for her – and others that she would inevitably tailgate.

~I got up at 5am this morning so I could go to the gym before Danny went to work. I really thought this was going to be an advantage! I mean – what other person was as dedicated and ambitious as myself… As I drove in the dark I imagined walking in, carefully selecting the cardio machine of my choice and taking my time sweating in peace. To my complete surprise – I had to park on the opposite end of the parking lot and race 3 other people to the door. EVERY. SINGLE. ELLIPTICAL. AND. TREADMILL. was consumed by earlier (more ambitious…more dedicated)-birds. I felt completely cheated! I huffed and got on a recumbent for a few minutes instead.
Ah-well.

~I’ve decided this morning to jump back on the Low-Carb diet wagon. I’ve done this because… we’ve been going to the gym for 4 weeks and I have LITERALLY not lost a single pound. Not an ounce. I am the exact weight. (please note that I would not like to hear how I need to change my eating, lower my sugar intake or decrease my fat/calorie intake. I know this. I’ve done this. This is not working.) I’ve learned something about myself & this body that the Lord has saw fit to test my patience with. If I want to maintain my weight (like, set your clock to it kind of consistency) then I will do low fat/calorie and gym routines. To LOSE weight (the only way Amber Howell can lose weight) I need to decrease my carb count and increase my exercise. Over these last 4 weeks I have certainly developed muscle tone and mass but my pants aren’t loser nor is my gut smaller. That is not only frustrating but – crazy discouraging. I’m not giving up (mostly because Danny gives me “that look”) but I want to see some results, dag-nab-it.

~I’ve noticed that daytime TV for kids is CRAZY ANNOYING! These songs are loud & repetitious for no good reason. No wonder kids have ADHD these days.

~I’m getting excited about spring! My niece is going to be born within the next week or two and I can’t wait to meet her! She’s already beyond blessed… We were able to get everything for her before she was born and most of it was super cheap or free. Getting all the stuff together for her has really given me the baby blues again. I’ve noticed that Michiah (the last child I gave birth to) has really started to look older lately. Her face is changing. This just lets me know she really is going to grow up. Part of me gets excited for that and the other part makes me really sad. I just want to hold her and not let her go. Caitlin will be T.E.N. years old this year. Holy cow. What has happened to the babies I had?

~Caitlin told me a really cool story Monday afternoon. She’s had a rough couple of weeks at school. Her behavior has been at an all-time low for this school year, her grades were starting to slump and she was even getting into more trouble @ home… (grounded from TV and her gameboy – torture for a 9 year old). So, Monday afternoon she came home and said “Mom, I have to tell you something… My teacher pulled me out in the hall today and talked to me”

Instantly I thought – “oh GREAT, what now…”

But – it appears that her teacher wanted to brag on her! She said “Caitlin, you have done VERY well today! You haven’t spoken out in class, you have raised your hand, you have been on your best behavior! I can tell you’re really working on this!”

You should have seen her eyes, y’all. She was beaming with self-esteem. That made me feel like the best mom in the world (ok – not even close but… I did feel oober good) . She couldn’t have been more proud of herself and that made me feel great. So – I did give her TV privileges again.

~This will be hair-cut weekend. The girls need to get the blonde leftovers cut out of their hair, Riley needs a shape up and Molly needs a trim, if nothing else. I told Danny last night that I need a hair STYLE in the worst way. I’ve noticed the last two days that my hair has lost all form and class. I want to cut it short again but I don’t… Why is it that my hair must plague me and taunt me from the top of my head… Why does it determine what kind of day I have and how people see me? You have too much power, blonde locks!

~What is it about a sunny day that makes me drive fast? Cloudy days – not so much. I don’t want to go under the speed limit no matter the weather but – on days that there isn’t a cloud in the sky and the sun is bright – I go faster. That sun on my skin and the wheels turning across the asphalt really excite me. Which reminds me – I need to get some more contacts so I can wear my sunglasses again soon. Ahh, Spring =)

~The kids start soccer this month. All 4 are now playing… Talk about stress AND fun. The big 3 (as we like to call them) are quite good at soccer and the Bug is good at practicing but will officially join a team this year. As I mentioned, she’s no bigger than a minute so we’re going to have to practice her taking falls & being run over by other (larger) 5 year olds. We do need to remember that she isn’t rough & tumble like the rest of them… yet.


~I’ll let this be my last random thing for today (you don’t believe that, do you?) . Last Sunday, the church I attend (Fellowship UMC) did something I’d never heard of before. They cancelled service because of snow. Now – we have an 8, 9:30 and 11am service each Sunday. They cancelled the 8 & 9:30 service – via email. I know some people have given up technology for Lent, others don’t check their email before they go to church – and some members don’t even have a computer? I just thought it was strange that I could go to Cracker Barrel but I couldn’t get to church. Most of you know that I’ve attended about 50-hundred churches – and every denomination created by man… and I have not once ever heard of cancelling service due to snow. Usually on those cold/wet/snowy mornings the pastor stands in the pulpit and remarks:


“Welp, it’s gonna be a small crowd today folks. It’s too cold/slick/wet for the rest of the church to come. I would like to thank all of you who trusted the Lord enough to get you here this morning… You are the ‘core’ members of this congregation and it is my pleasure to be your pastor”

Kid you not – I’ve heard those exact words.

Alright folks… Have a good one =)

No comments: