I had an appointment this morning that let me go in a little later than usual. I got up and fed the kids while Danny jumped in the shower. This was my pleasure as he typically does this for ME! =)
Soon, I had everyone dressed & out the door. My appointment wasn't until 9am so I was able to fix myself a hot breakfast - cheese grits! I ate, showered, and flew out the door in a flash.
My appointment ended and I was ready to head into work. I had to pee when I left M'boro but I knew I was heading into work, already late, and I knew I could make it until then. So, I hopped in my 99 Cutlass and started speeding down 24 - as I am famous for doing.
As I'm in the middle of my coffee-fueled ride - pretending I'm Earnhardt Jr - I realize something... I can't change lanes. Then, here's what happened:
Uh-oh, no power steering.
Uh - wait a minute, why is that battery light on?
"ding-ding-ding"... WOAH! What happened to the fluid?? Why is it so HOT all the sudden?!?!
AMBER- pull over.
So...I pull onto the side of the (SUPER SPEED WAY WE CALL) Interstate 24 and try to further assess the situation.
Lights - check
Radio - check
Power - check
Overheating car - check
I cut the key back into the "ON" position to start the fan. I turned the dial all the way to the red (HOT!!!) and began pulling the heat off of the engine. I couldn't figure out what was going on!
That's when I called Superman.
"Hello?"
"Babe?"
"Hey love, what's up?"
"Um, somethings wrong w/the car... I'm broken down on 24 and I can't make it any further"
"I'm on my way"
CLICK
I decided to crack my windows to let the breeze from the other passers-by filter in. I needed something to help w/the heat that was building inside my car from the dern engine. It may be Sept, but it's still HOT in TN.
As I waited....it hit me.
I HAVE TO PEE............
I began to perform the most talented "pee-pee" dance one has ever seen. I fiercely debated popping the lid of the XL coffee I had bought only hours ago and reliving myself. I also happened to suddenly notice a Gatorade bottle that Caitlin had left in the car after Tuesday's soccer practice. I also knew... I'd never aim that great.
So - I danced. I danced and I waited for Superman.
I waited on 24 for about 15 minutes before he arrived in the golden-brown chariot. He quickly assessed that the squeaky belt that runs EVERY SINGLE THING in my car has fallen off due to a bad tensioner pulley. He didn't know if he could fix it...and we worried about getting it off the interstate before "THE MAN" came to tow it away.
Then - it hit me. My bladder said "NOW!!"...and I had to pee on the side of the interstate. The last time I remember doing this...is when my mother got a ticket in the great state of Alabama for letting my baby sister, 3 at the time, wet her socks on the side of the road. I'm not ashamed. Don't judge me.
After I relieved myself and cleaned my flip-flop, Danny took me in to work. We discussed how we were going to get it all done... kids soccer practice today, leaving early to get them there on time, our already hectic work schedule, towing, repair bills, etc.
We felt the stress mounting.
I called my mom trying to prepare for a free tow and Superman Googled. He looked up my car online, the possible problem, how to fix it....and that's when Clark Kent - aka Danny Howell - morphed into SuperMan. I got a quick instant message letting me know that he was on his way to the auto parts store. He knew what it was - and he was heading to fix it.
I'm sorry - WHAT?
Then, Superman put on his golden Durango cape and flew around town... back to the side of 24...(yes, on the side of the interstate) and fixed my car. He JACKED UP THE CAR ENGINE w/our car jack, replaced the pulley and belt, put it all back together, and came back to work to get me. He was covered from finger tip to elbow in grease. His knuckles had little cuts on them...reminders of his roadside assistance.
I learned something tonight. My husband is SuperMan. I really think he can do anything he puts his mind to. He quickly assessed the situation, stepped in, and saved the day. He never ceases to leave me in shock and awe.
Thank you, God, for sending me the provider I always prayed for. For sending me such a smart, talented and capable man.
I also want you to know...we still made 1 of the 2 soccer practices tonight... =)
Thursday, September 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment