Today is Christmas Eve's Eve... and we're getting excited at the Howell household. We woke up this morning to two girls that awoke before us... "bad dreams" attributed, but I suspected the ever-growing mound of presents in the living room was partly to blame. Aunt Lee came over last night and brought all of her gifts so she didn't have as much to haul in Christmas day.
So, I ironed up some clothes for Mr. Wonderful to wear to work and rushed off to the kitchen to create a wonderful Vacation Day 2 breakfast: cinnamon rolls. Oh yumm-o. Once we all ate and kissed Dada off to work, the fun began. WebKinz and gameboys!!!! Rachel Ray on the TV; warm blankets from the dryer; what could be better? Caitlin informed us yesterday morning that she is a HUGE "RR" fan and has even begun quoting the phrase "EVOO". [though I've yet been asked to provide the definition for "virgin" and for this, I am thankful]
I realized that it was quickly approaching 10am and I had yet to start the chore list I had provided myself for this day. So, away from the couch I flew with a flash... into the kitchen. And, there I stood. Staring. At the mound of blessed "duties" that lay before me. Just then, Santa's Little Helper appeared [no, not the dog from The Simpsons]. Michiah said "Momma, I want to help!! What are we doing?" Bless her bones.
Before I knew it, Michiah had grabbed the broom out of the laundry room and was off like a tiny little cleaning rocket. I told her she had to do the best sweep of her LIFE! Christmas depended on it! [we all know Christmas does NOT depend on it but - I wanted to ensure a job well done]. It took her a lot longer than usual to knock it out and, with careful detail, she did an amazing job. While she was sweeping, I decided to do my annual oven cleaning. Usually, it's just before my Thanksgiving festival but since this year we traveled up north [southern Indiana is still "north", right?] the oven didn't get the attention it deserved. So, since everyone is coming to my house for Christmas, I get to cook!!! Yes, I am thrilled. It is truly a source of much happiness for me. My in-laws are bringing the meat and baby sis is bringing a cheesecake. I was instructed "not" to make a dessert. ANY-HOO... I'm off topic.
I sprayed down the oven and cracked the kitchen window for AIR. For the love... that stuff is smelly and hurts my former-smoker lungs. Michiah, on the other side of the room sweeping, says "Mom, I can TASTE that stuff! Close the oven!" While the super-smell was doing its magic on the collection of shredded cheese from frozen pizzas, particles of rice, a little pie juice, and other unmentionable stains, I decided to clean out the fridge. Michiah, finished with her favorite chore, asked if then she could wash "those white things that run across the floor" [baseboards to you & me]. What mother would pass up such an offer? Since I was using my mop bucket to hold scaling water for that smelly oven, Michiah went to the garage and got her sparkly green sand bucket to hold her cleaning mixture. Donned with her tiny yellow gloves she proceeded to scrub all of "those white things" around the entire downstairs. She even questioned once "I wonder why I like to clean so much?" To which I responded: "I'm not sure, but I'm so glad you do!"
When my fridge was eww-free, expired condiments were removed, and the leftover hamburger helper with the fuzz was removed from its hiding place behind the butter, it was time to wrestle the oven. I was ready. I, too, donned my too-small yellow gloves [who knew there was an actual "size" you have to purchase... no one-size here?!... I mean, I got them on but - it was certainly a struggle and I couldn't completely extend my pinky] and bravely opened the door. To my pleasant surprise, this year's collection came off with just a wipe! Ok, so – several wipes but much easier than previous years. Michiah, again - across the room, said: "Mom, that really does not smell good". I took the hint and tried to clean it as quickly - but accurately - as I could. As I dipped my once-white shop rag into the scalding water I noticed Santa's Little Helper over my shoulder. She stood there, mouth agape, at the site of the "nasty" oven. She said "You know what, this is a dirty job!"... [there's ya a show idea Mike Rowe. Come clean the oven of a family of 6... I may not be brave enough to climb into a sewer or strip the hair off of animal hides but - have you cleaned an oven?!?!] . I agreed (and giggled) with Michiah and we continued our cleaning. We soon realized - we were STARVING. While we labored, big sister laid on the couch playing gameboy [her loving contribution to the family: not being in the way]... and we were all ready for some sustenance [gameboy is hard, too…passing all those levels, mashing those buttons… it's not "physical" labor but we all know mental labor can be just as taxing.] I threw together some low-fat beef hotdogs and Hannah Montana mac-n-cheese [I wouldn't joke about something like this. That girl is making a killing...even with food. Plus, it was cheaper than the generic version.] We chowed down on our delish carbs and protein, took a short WebKinz break, and a short concert/dance performance from mom [Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" and a remote for a microphone. I leave the rest to your imagination] we were at it again. Vacuuming upstairs, the stairs themselves, and mopping. Whew, cleaning house sure is a lot of work fun!! I do, however, enjoy the bonding time I get with Michiah. She will be 8 in ten days and I swear I can close my eyes and see her sharing a hospital bed with me. I couldn't take my eyes off of her. I just watched her breathe and thanked God for her tiny little life. Now, she's the tender-hearted tallest of her siblings and a blooming social butterfly. I tell her all the time how proud of her I am but there's no way I adequately depict my deepest feelings.
Tomorrow, the "technical" Christmas Eve, we'll share another day of cleaning… but it won't be near as much as today. We'll prepare for family to come over on Christmas afternoon… an event that I haven't looked forward to as much in …well… as long as I can remember. My mom and sisters, my husband and our kids, and his parents. I get misty eyed just picturing it.
And then – we'll head to church for the Christmas Eve service, and then off to the movies with some of our dear friends. Ah, the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. I can't wait to share Jesus' birthday with my closest friends and family. I hope all of you have a very blessed Christmas, too. Thank you for a wonderful year… I look forward to sharing 2009 with you =).
~A
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a wonderful daughter you have, Amber! She is welcome to come to Connecticut and help Aunt Connie clean any day of the week...you can come too! Nothing like another adult to help a Mom of 8 (7 on earth, and 1 in heaven) to clean our home. I love you! Aunt Connie
P.S. Merry Christmas to the Howell family!!!
Post a Comment