Monday, June 7, 2010

And what I really want...

I notice that I crave the weekend. Here lately, I live for it. Knowing that I get one evening and two days to bask in the love of my family makes me loathe work. I don't look forward to going in and while I'm there, I'm dreaming of being off. Please don't misunderstand - I love my job. I love being employed and I enjoy making money so I can pay my bills, put gas in my car and food on my table. But - I love my family more.
I love listening to my kids laugh all the way home. I love cooking dinner with them and hearing about their days. I love hearing them bless their meal:

"God is great, God is good...let us thank Him for our food. In Jesus name, Amen"

I even love having to tell them 5xs to "quit talking and eat". And - the ever common "How many more bites?" debate. I love hearing them run up the stairs to fight for hot water and the goofy Justin Bieber songs that are screamed from the shower. I love that when I go to take my shower at night, it's cold...because those four children don't know how to conserve water. I love that conditioner bottles and soap bars are always left on the tub floor. I love that towels are never put back on the rack and someone's socks are inevitably left behind next to the bathroom rug.

I love that I have to remind my kids to put on deodorant and brush their teeth. I love that I still get to fix their hair. I love that my son lets me pick out his clothes and even asks me if it matches. Most of the time, I love to hear them call my name. Unless it sounds like this: "moooooooom!!!!!!!!" (you know what I mean!)

And I love that at the end of the night, when the kitchen is clean, two loads of laundry are washed and put away, and the kids have been warned for the third time to be quiet and go to sleep, I'll be cuddled up on the couch with my best friend watching something lame on TV while he holds my hand.

And what I really want is to be home with them. All the time. If we won the lottery, that's just what we'd do. Well, that's a lie. We'd buy a fab motor-home and travel-tutors and drive around the country enjoying our lives.

In August, I will have two 5th graders, a 4th grader and a 2nd grader. My life is passing before me like a flash. I know it won't be long until I'm teaching them to drive, shaving legs/faces, and hearing about the 1st date. I look forward to those days but for now - I'll just enjoy living in this moment.

Until then....

No comments: