Tuesday, May 11, 2010

In Pursuit of 30

One year from now, I will turn the dreaded three-zero.

I read daily about how drastically your body changes at thirty. Loss of muscle tone. Loss of bone mass. "Loss" of lots of other things I hold dear! Mainly the hope to control my bladder (I'm kinda fond of that one).
I'm embarking on a sincere journey like none other I've ever attempted. I am giving myself one full year to get it right. Four years ago, I lost eighty pounds. Why did I stop? Why have I allowed almost forty of those pounds to come back? Why do I enjoy eating as much as I do? Why do Danny and I plan every fun event around what restaurant we will be attending?

This solid year - from May 2010 to May 2011 - I'm going to focus on bringing my body/mind/spirit/soul into alignment. No, this isn't some "new age" phenomenon and I haven't been reading "The Secret"... I'm just wanting to get it right before 30. I envision myself as a lean, mean, running/cycling/swimming machine and instead - I "see" a fat/lazy/slow couch-potato machine. I'd like my mental image to match my physical image. I'd like to rid myself of the "wings" under my arms as much as possible. I'd like to wear shorts, skirts and sleeveless tops. I haven't put on a pair of shorts since Caitlin was born. Danny hasn't ever seen me in shorts. Naked? Yes. Shorts? No. I know it's illogical - but it's fact.

I have also decided that I am not going to cut my hair until I turn 30. I always want to grow it out - but never do. My last year in my 20's will be the last year for growing my hair.

I've given myself 365 days (or fifty-two weeks, as Danny converted for me this morning...) to get myself into peak physical condition. I will be dedicated and relentless. I will be bold. I will be brave! I will be in pain!!! But - I will be where I want to be 365 days from now. In my 20's I was diagnosed with Ulna Nerve Palsy and Osteo-Arthritis. In this last year of my 20's, I want to reverse that. It is amazing what you can do with your body if you will it to happen. I just have to have the will. No one can stop me except me. And I'm tired of being my largest stumbling block.

So - you've been warned, 29. This year is going to be rough on you... but you'll thank me when 30 gets here.

~Until then...

No comments: