Anyone that has spent even a small amount of time with me knows that I am (a crazed, obsessed) Dave Matthews Band fan. I have been since high school - though most of that time was spent deep in the world of rap, hip-hop & R&B. Dave has always been the exception. (Yes - I am a warehouse member...)
A few weeks back Danny and I were getting dressed while watching the morning news and happened to overhear the broadcaster mention Dave Matthews and Kenny Chesney were coming to town! We quickly Googled the unlikely pair and found Hullabaloo! Oh the excitement! We soon bought tickets for Sunday's event and I marked my calendar for July 25th without hesitation. I wish there was a word in the English dictionary that explains how excited I am about this......
I've heard of people being obsessed with the Beatles, Elvis and those crazed "The Doors" fans... but I never assumed I would be categorized as "obsessed" with anything other than food and my arched eyebrows. However, I believe the label has been appropriately added to me in the case of my feelings for this band. I guess it became official at the concert when Dave walked on the stage and I hopped around, screeching his name and crying. Danny had to put his hands on my shoulders and hold me back. Security was glancing in my direction and talking into their shirt sleeves... I was on their radar! This, my friends, is obsession (and a little disturbing, I might add).
I can't explain how or why I can listen for days and weeks on end to the same songs again and again and never tire of them. I have an entire station on Playlist dedicated to them! Strangely, I have noticed a distinct difference in my moods when I hear just the right song. Music and I have always had a love affair. It can make me happy, sad, cry (happy AND sad tears), violent or still. When I'm having a bad day, I can put in one of my (several) Dave CD's and I can literally feel the negative melt away. I don't know if it's his emotion in each song, the way he articulates my deepest feelings, or if it's the memories I have of Danny and I at the concert, the drive through Arkansas...the simi-serious conversation I had about quitting my job and becoming a Dave groupie (that didn't go so well, as you could imagine).
I think the reasons I enjoy them so much are many - but they all have a central theme: happiness. Each song holds a memory. Yes - EACH song, holds a memory. And they are mostly good memories... I get a smile on my face, nostalgia overtakes me and when I'm in that place, nothing can go wrong.
Until Then...
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment