A few weeks back I got a wild hair. I saw the cutest little black Pomeranian puppy and I just had to have him. Not knowing much about Pom's (and not really wanting to know) I begged & begged Danny to reconsider our "no more dogs" rule and let me bring this baby ball of hair home. He was jet black and spunky so I thought the name "Onyx" fit him best. After the 1st night with Onyx, I knew I'd made a mistake. Not to mention the disdain that Luna sent our way for bringing in the intruder. We quickly surmised that Onyx was not a fit for our calm, peaceful - generally quiet - Howell household. We've found him a new home and he will move in with them January 22nd.
Then last week I got an email from a friend at work. She had found a dog in the ditch outside her rural country home. She had been attacked by other dogs and left for dead. Our friend, LeAnn, ran to the ditch, picked up the lifeless dog, and rushed her to the vet. Luckily, the wounded pup was okay! Just badly bitten and shaken up. After shaving her paw and pumping her with meds, and giving her a clean bill of health, she needed a home! LeAnn sent out pictures to lots of her friends and asked if anyone knew of a good home. Jokingly, I sent the email to Danny with a little "lol" on the side. I was just jabbing at him about it when he replied "I want her".
I was completely shocked! "Pardon me??" I said. "Do you know we have TWO dogs at our house right now?" I completely bombarded him with who/what/where/when/how/WHY questions. His reply was "I just fell in love with her. She looks so sweet. She needs our love...she needs to be rescued".
And with that, who could resist. I completely folded under his logic. I mean, just look at that gorgeous face and those loving chocolate eyes.

My husband's eloquent words rang through my mind and I couldn't help but ask him that night - if that's what he saw in me when we met. Did he see how I needed love? That I needed to be rescued from myself? He has believed in me and loved me like no other person has. He has poured into me, listened to me, held me, and healed me. He has certainly rescued me.
On a much higher level, I believe even more in the insightfulness that was his statement. Do we not all need Jesus to rescue us? Does He look at us the way Danny looked at Brandi... feel the compassion, pity.... the holes in His hands and feet... and say "they need to be rescued. They need My love. They need Me to bring them home and hold them. They need to come home with Me and my Father and let Us pour into them. They'll be safe with us."
I saw it as a metaphor for what the Lord does in us, what the Lord has done to me through Danny - and what He continues to do on a daily basis. I know it's kind of silly to see so much in one statement about a dog... but, I think the Lord used the moment to speak to me. I'm thankful I heard him.

And I think you will be pleased to know this is by-far the most loving, warm, caring dog I think I've ever seen. Danny was right about her...

Until then...
1 comment:
She looks like a sweetie!
P.S. I LOVE the name change. ;)
Post a Comment