Two nights ago Caitlin came to me with a perplexing dilemma. One of the many little children that she has taken under her wings is a Jehovah's Witness. What bothered Caitlin the most by this wasn't the child's specific beliefs but her lack of participation in Christ's birthday. She didn't really understand "why" someone wouldn't celebrate the birth of our savior (ah, the innocence of youth). I tried hard to explain the best way to explain how we should show Christ love to others instead of trying to berate them with Him. How to show people you're a Christian instead of "saying" you are.
She must have heard me say "you must convert this non-believer and save her soul from hell" instead of what I obviously failed to say. Yesterday when I went to pick the girls up from the Y, Caitlin pointed to her tiny, 5 year old friend and whispered (in true Caitlin fashion) "That's her, mom!". I said "Okay, Caitlin - let's go" before it got out of hand. Michiah headed toward the bathroom to change for basketball practice and I followed her. Caitlin decided to go back and give her tiny friend a hug goodbye. I watched as she wrapped her arm around her shoulder and whispered in her ear "Now, what are you going to tell your mom?"... and I heard the little mousey voice reply "That Christmas is Jesus' birthday and we should celebrate it!".... Just then, Caitlin glanced over at me and shot me a "thumbs up" sign.
Oh mercy, I almost fell down. I found myself saying "CAITLIN! COME HERE!"... She walked over completely shocked and said "What? I just did what you told me to do!".... Appalled, I said "I DID NOT TELL YOU TO DO THAT!... I TOLD YOU TO SHOW HER CHRIST LOVE!".. Caitlin was just puzzled at this point. Then, of course, I realize that I'm not doing a good job of that myself... and I told her to go sit in the truck. I was worried about the little girl and what her family would say to her. How they would feel like she is completely misguided from their beliefs, that they may not let Caitlin play with her anymore, or better still - have a stern conversation with me about encouraging my daughter to change the belief structure of the Rutherford County school system.
As I sat in the truck trying to re-explain how best to "show" Christ love and not only "talk" about it... the tiny Kindergartners mother walked out of the building holding hands with the newly transformed child. I could see that she'd already told her mom what her "mentor" had advised her to. As they walked to her car I could see the expression on her face become stern as she spoke to her daughter. I want to believe that perhaps she was being reprimanded for something she'd done at school that day but my fear is that she had the "Jesus/Christmas" discussion and the mom disapproved.
Caitlin's boldness has never surprised me. She has been brave since the morning they pulled her a week late from my belly. I hope to find her a more effective way to plant her seeds. As a child growing up not celebrating any holidays, birthdays, etc - I know that feeling of being isolated while everyone else colored Santa pictures. I wanted desperately to feel normal and be a part of the group. I knew who Jesus was but not the same way everyone else did. I remember my Christian friends and I wish they would have handled ME a little differently. Maybe that's why I over-reacted to Caitlin's testimony. I pray that in the future the Lord gives me better words (and actions) for these situations! I guess sometimes you really do learn as you go!
Until then...
Friday, December 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment